How to build a concrete block retaining wall?
Get Access to:
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.
Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this user should be reported.
1. Start by gathering all of the necessary materials. These include:
-Protective gloves and eye protection
2. Determine the size and shape of your retaining wall by plotting out the desired area with stakes and string.
3. Dig a trench for the bottom layer of blocks. The depth should be around 12 inches for a two-foot wall, but will vary depending on the size of the blocks and the height of the wall.
4. Place a 2-3 inch bed of gravel in the trench.
5. Place landscape fabric over the gravel. This will help prevent weeds from growing through the blocks.
6. Place the first row of blocks into the trench, making sure that they are level and secure.
7. Mix and pour ready-mix concrete into the trench and behind the blocks to hold them in place.
8. Place the second and subsequent rows of blocks, making sure that they are level, secure and staggered in a “stair step” pattern.
9. Use a level to ensure the blocks are evenly spaced and in a straight line.
10. Pour ready-mix concrete around the blocks to secure them in place.
11. As you build up, use a rake or shovel to spread compactable gravel between each course of blocks.
12. Water down the gravel with a hose to ensure it is firmly packed between the blocks.
13. If desired, dig out small areas and fill with sand for access points.
14. For taller walls, add additional layers of landscape fabric, gravel and concrete footings to provide extra support.
15. Finish the top of the wall with blocks and/or capstone for a professional look.
16. Be sure to wear protective gloves and eye protection when building a retaining wall.