How to build a retaining wall step by step?
Get Access to:
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.
Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this user should be reported.
1. Choose a location for the retaining wall. Make sure it is on level ground and is strong enough to support the weight of the wall.
2. Measure out the area where the retaining wall will be built and mark the boundaries.
3. Dig a trench along the boundaries of the area that is the same depth as the height of the wall you plan to build.
4. Pour and tamp down a 4-6 inch layer of gravel in the bottom of the trench.
5. Lay down a row of large stones, bricks or blocks in the trench. Make sure they are level and fit snugly together.
6. Fill the space between the stones with concrete or mortar. Smooth and level it as you go.
7. Place the next row of stones, bricks or blocks on top of the first, using concrete or mortar to fill in the gaps.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you reach the desired height.
9. Cover the wall with a waterproof membrane to protect it from the elements.
10. Backfill the soil and add a layer of crushed stone at the base of the wall to help with drainage.