How to build a tall retaining wall?
Get Access to:
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.
Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported.
Please briefly explain why you feel this user should be reported.
1. Choose your materials: Choose a sturdy material such as stone, brick, concrete blocks, or timber, depending on the size of your wall and the stability you need.
2. Dig a trench: Remove dirt to create a wide and deep trench along the length of your wall, big enough to accommodate the size of your materials.
3. Add a base layer: Pack gravel and sand into the bottom portion of the trench and be sure to compact it down for maximum stability.
4. Install the foundation row: Build up the first row of stones, bricks, or timber in the trench, making sure to fill any gaps with gravel and sand and tamp it down.
5. Continue adding layers: Build each subsequent layer on top of the previous one, staggering the blocks or stones when possible. Be sure to use rebar or wire mesh between each layer for support and stability.
6. Add the capstones: Finish the wall by topping it off with your chosen capstone material.
7. Backfill: Fill the trench behind the wall with dirt and then tamp it down to provide more support.