- 1. Long Wall Short Wall Method
- 2. Centre Line Method
- 3. Partly Centre Line and Partly Cross Wall Method
- Difference between longwall short walls and the centreline method
- Advantage of centre line method over longwall short wall
1. Long Wall Short Wall Method
What is the longwall short wall method?
In the long wall short wall method, the wall along the length of the room is taken as the long wall and the wall which is perpendicular to the long wall is taken as the short wall. At first, the centre line length of individual walls is calculated. Half breadth at each end is added to the centre line length to get the length of the long wall. At each end, half the width of the centre line is subtracted to determine the length of the short wall.
Longwall short wall method formula
- Length of longwall = Center to centre length of wall + Half Breadth on one side + Half Breadth on the other side.
- Length of Short wall = Centre to centre length – One breadth
Advantages of longwall short wall method
- Longwall Short wall method is simple and accurate
- The occurrence of mistakes while using this method is less.
2. Centre Line Method
This method is used for walls which have similar cross-sections. To get the total quantity the total centre line length is multiplied by the breadth and depth of the respective item at a time. For each junction, the centre line length is reduced by half of the breadth. This method gives the most accurate and quick results.
3. Partly Centre Line and Partly Cross Wall Method
When the external walls and internal walls have different thicknesses this method is adopted. In these cases, Longwall short wall method is used for internal walls and the centre line method is used for the external walls. This method is suitable for different levels of foundation and different thicknesses of walls.
Difference between longwall short walls and the centreline method
|Longwall Short wall Method||Centreline Method|
|Divides walls into two types||The total centre line length of walls in a building is calculated|
|Based on the inclusion and exclusion of corners||Centerline length is multiplied by the breadth and depth of respective items|
|Walls that include the corner are called a long wall||The number of joints is calculated first|
|Walls that exclude the corner are called short walls||Can finish the estimation faster.|
Advantage of centre line method over longwall short wall
Estimates can be prepared faster and more correctly with this procedure than with other methods.
Also Read: Working stress Method