The art of covering the surface of the masonry work with a suitable plaster is called plastering.
The plaster used may be cement plaster, lime plaster or any other specified plaster.
The finished surfaces of walls, constructed in bricks or stones, or generally so coarse textured that they provided unsuitable finish for the internal walls of most of the buildings. These surfaces are rendered smooth with plaster.
Purposes of Plastering
- To provide an even, smooth, regular, clean and durable finished surface.
- To product the surface from the effects of weathering agencies.
- To cover inferior quality of materials used in the masonry.
- To provide a smooth base for decorative surface finishes.
- To protect the surface against dust, dirt and vermin nuisance in case of internal plastering.