Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)
Ordinary Portland Cement
Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) is mostly used for common structures and also for important civil works. In India, about 70% of cement is of this category. It has mainly three grades. Grade means mortar cube strength in N/mm2 after 28 days Lets know more about the Ordinary Portland Cement.
Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) is the most common cement used in the world mostly because of the abundance and low cost to produce it. OPC is produced simply by grinding limestone and secondary materials to a powder. It got its name as it was first produced in Portland.
The grades of Ordinary Portland Cement(OPC) are
(a) Grade 33
(b) Grade 43
(c) Grade 53
Grade 33 means after 28 days, the strength of this type of cement with standard must be 33 N/mm2. The ratio of cement mortar must be 1 :3 (standard cement and sand)
The initial setting time of this cement is not less than 30 minutes and final setting time should not exceed 10 hours.
Also read: Complete Guide on Grades of Concrete
Properties and Uses of Ordinary Portland Cement
- It is commonly used for R.C.C: works for various engineering works.
- The OPC cement has moderate strength and less heat of hydration, ba does not cause any defect.
- It is mainly used in pavements.
- This cement does not attain the strength so quickly and its setting time is normal so it may also be called as normal setting cement.
The cost of producing Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) is very low and available at the best quality because of the readily available raw material in the area where it is produced. Being low-cost cement it is widely used in the production of concrete, which is the most popular material used for construction in the world for roads, houses, buildings, dams and in other construction work etc. Ordinary Portland cement is also used for mortars and in making grouts.
Did You Know
- To produce Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) need mixing raw materials and use a rotary kiln with maintaining 1400–1450°C temperature by rising chemical reactions.
- The produce Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)- 53 Grade is produced using a highly specialized process that allows optimum distribution of each particle, thereby allowing superior crystalline structure and balanced composition. The result is better strength and durability.
- Produce Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)- 43-grade cement is produced by inter-grinding of clinker and gypsum, to an optimum fineness to ensure both strength & durability of concrete at all ages, which is suitable for all construction works.
Here is Another Powerful Post
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?