Why Bamboo is Used as a Building Material
Bamboo could be an ancient building material throughout the world’s tropical and sub-tropical regions. Bamboo could be a renewable and versatile resource, with high strength and low weight lets know more about ‘ Why Bamboo is Used as a Building Material ‘
That’s why it’s widely utilized in totally different forms of construction, significantly for housing in rural areas. It can also be used to build traps, cages, tools, weapons, bridges, rafts, towers, fences, water wheels, irrigation pipe, and thousands of other things. it’s joined in a concert of the most important non-timber forest resources because of the high socioeconomic advantages from bamboo based mostly products. It is estimated that there are 1200 species of bamboo. Most of them grow in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
Amazing Facts About Bamboo
The world’s quickest growing woody grass is Bamboo. It grows approximately 7.5 to 40cm every day, with a world record being 1.2m in twenty-four hours in Japan. Bamboo grows 3 times quicker than most different species. Species of bamboo that are commercially used sometimes mature in four or 5 years time, after that multiple harvests are possible every second year, for up to 120 years in some species and indefinitely in others. Bamboo is additionally smart in biomass production. it’s usually introduced into the banks or streams or in different vulnerable areas, for fast management of soil erosion; one bamboo plants closely matted roots can bind up to 6 cubic meters of soil.
Why Bamboo is Used as a Building Material?
Housing is a basic need for the human being and is now becoming a burden for low and medium income group. Thus, we need efficient housing and bamboo is the best building material, result for that as:
- Bamboo fastest-growing renewable natural building materials.
- Bamboo material is easily available & Eco-friendly.
- Bamboo may be a viable (if not better!) alternative for steel, concrete and masonry as an independent building material.
- it’s cost effective and easy to figure.
- Bamboo can be simply bent, provide the desired form and can offer joints to suit the construction.
- Its huge elasticity makes it a really useful building material in areas with very high risks of earthquakes.
- Locally obtainable material to some areas, which tries to carry the local tradition & vernacular architecture of that place.
Bamboo is Useful for Different Purposes at Different Ages
- <30 days it is good for eating.
- 6-9 months for baskets.
- 2-3 years for bamboo boards or laminations.
- 3-6 years for construction.
- >6 years bamboo gradually loses strength up to 12 years old.
Bamboo is used as a building material, some of the main properties, construction details and
the major uses of bamboo etc.
Do you want to download PPT (Presentation) about this?